Quick Links (Mysore)  
GShankar - one click to ethical wealth GShankar - one click to ethical wealth GShankar - one click to ethical wealth
< Prev Next >

Financial Goals

LESSON  4:

In  Lesson 1,  I had  mentioned that it was  necessary to set your goals.   I deliberately made it  look  like  a  casual  remark.  But,  it is the most important step of all.  Had I mentioned  so  in  the first  lesson  itself,  you wouldn’t  have  bothered  to read  further.   Leading  a life  without goals is like  boarding a bus and  asking  the conductor  to give  a ticket to  “anyplace.”   You  cannot  achieve  any worthwhile  goal  if you do not write it down.  The reason  for this is more  spiritual than  physical  and so  if  I try  to  explain  it  in detail here,  it’ll  put you  off.   More of  that, either  in a subsequent  lesson  or  Module.

Now  the time has come  to  write  down  your  goals.

Take  a notebook and a pen.  Allot  a  few  pages for each of the  following:                                   

Short term goals              (upto 1 year)

Medium term goals         ( > 1  year and < 3 years)

Long term goals             (above  3  years)

Do  you  plan to  buy a new mobile  next month?   Write it down under “Short term goals.”   Planning a vacation  sometime  next year?  Include it  under  “Medium term goals.”     Want  to  save  for  your  daughter’s  wedding,  which may take place about four years  from  today?   Include  this under   “Long term goals.”

It is statistically  found  that only about   three  percent of the global population  write down  their goals and  achieve them.  It is  also  found  that the  total net worth  of  this 3%  people exceeds 10 times the total  net worth of  the remaining  97%  of  the population.   Where  do  you  want  to  be?  In the 3%  group  or  in  the 97%  group?     Having  come  this  far,  I am  sure,  you want to be under the 3% group.

The  very  first requirement  to cross over to the 3%  group  is    self-discipline.  It   is  not  for  me  to define what  self-discipline  is.    You  would  have been taught about  that  in  your childhood  days.   Moreover,  there are any number  of  books  written on  this subject,  some  of  them  by international  experts.   You can write to me for a list of such books.

In  order to improve  your self-discipline,  allow   me  to mention  two  fundamental  steps here.  (At this juncture, however, stop guessing  how  these steps  lead to self-discipline).
Get up from  your bed at the same time  everyday.                                            
Go to bed at the same time everyday.

After  a  few  days,  get up earlier by,  say,  15 minutes  and  go to bed earlier  by  the same  time span.   Then, after  you are  comfortable  with this 15 minute  adjustment,   increase  it by another 15 minutes.  (Do  you  remember  the saying  “early to  bed  and early to rise  makes a man healthy, wealthy  and wise?   You’ll  find  out  for yourself  that this saying  is true! )

Now  comes  the question:  “What do I do with this 30 minute slot  in the morning ?”   Unless you have,  beforehand,  a constructive  plan  to fill this gap,  you’ll find  it  difficult  to stick  to this  new  time-table.

As  soon  as  you  get up,  write down  your  “things to do”  list  for the  day.  Go through it and  try to remember  the tasks.   Now,  sit  in a comfortable  chair  and  close your  eyes.  Imagine  how  you’d  like to  see the  first  item in your list executed.  Be as  vivid  as  possible.  If you have any doubt as to how you’re going to accomplish this task,  for the time being,  ignore the doubt.  On  your  mental  screen   see  that  the  task  is  completed.   Feel the joy  you’d  feel  when the task  is actually  completed.                         

Then go to the next item on your  list  and  repeat  the process.  The  entire  exercise  should   not take you  more  than 5  or  6  minutes.   After it is  over,  continue  to sit  for  a few  moments  in  silence  and then “come out”.

Now,  read  some  inspirational  quotes.  Copy  down  such  quotes form  magazines,  newspapers  etc.  into  a notebook.   There are many  websites run by authors, coaches and  speakers  where  you can  freely  subscribe to daily inspirations.   One of  my favorite  speakers  is Bob Proctor.


< Prev Next >